Thursday, August 16, 2012

There You Go, Little Ducky!

Cliche warning here: I'm getting my ducks in a row.  You see, for a good long while, I have been able to get Smarty, Skinny, Home Slice and Mama Duck ALMOST in line.  Most of the time, three of the four are waiting not so patiently for the straggler to show up.  Some days Smarty is missing, other days Mama Duck is way behind, and all too often Skinny Duck cannot make it to the party on time.  For the first time in a long time, everyone seems to be working together; call it a work in progress.

Let me explain.

Smarty Duck just wants to flourish in a career.  Smarty worked her way through her Masters degree with a 4.0 (on time, I might add) by working her little tail off.  Smarty Duck wasn't so smart with the field she chose.  She didn't go with what she loved to do; she wasn't completely sure of what that was. Unfortunately (or fortunately), finding a teaching job after the state's budget cuts was next to impossible.  During the time most student teachers are getting hired, all too many contracted teachers were getting pink slips.

Skinny Duck is back in line.  I'm not just trying to lose weight here, this is for my health. This is so that at age 50 I don't feel 75.  Until recently (and luckily not for long) I have been nearly 30 feeling like an out of shape 50 year old.  I have found a couple of amazing doctors who are working with me to get my cholesterol, cortisol, vitamin D, and testosterone back in shape (yes, ladies need testosterone, too).  I have been doing Insanity for the last month and have seen some great results.  I am down 10.4 pounds (from my all time high of 238.8; EEK), and some odd number of inches.  In fact, month two starts tomorrow morning.

Home Slice, poor, pitiful home slice.  She just wants to keep the house in order.  I'm sure any Jane Doe could walk in off the street and think the house looks great.  For Home Slice, she feels that the laundry pile is bottomless, the dishes are neverending, and there is always animal hair everywhere (even right after vacuuming).

Mama Duck is in charge of the kiddo.  Sometimes she just wants some time off!!!

Getting all these ducks in a row is what most people call "balance."  Can we truly achieve balance in our life?  Probably not.  We just do our best to live in the moment, give our all in each moment, and continue to be thankful that we are "blessed with stress" as I like to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment